Sunday, May 4, 2008

Walking on water

Yesterday we feasted. There was a cake sale at school in the morning and then J and I went to check out the “Semaine Gastronomique” at Sainte Marie. I got a free sample from a man in a chef’s outfit (an ample sample I might add) of chicken with champignons noirs and white wine, I had a snowball (crushed ice with grenadine syrup poured all over it) and we bought some accras aux légumes and aux crevettes and a bottle of cherry punch.

There’s a strange almost-islet at Sainte Marie which is connected to the mainland by a narrow, partially flooded isthmus where two set of waves break against each other when the tide is high. Yesterday people were walking across it, collecting shellfish and going for a walk on the islet, so we thought we’d join in on the fun. As we started paddling across I held up my skirt to stop it getting wet – but I soon gave up trying with that when the waves started slopping against each other with more force and I got completely soaked. I think next time I go for a walk in the sea I’ll wear a swimming costume. We also both got very sunburnt as, foolishly, we had come out without sun cream on thinking we would be wandering under a covered market all morning. It was a fun adventure though.

The university project is coming along nicely. I’ve written 5300 words (although most of that is inane foreign waffle) and I just need to write a conclusion now. I’m hoping this conclusion will be so profound as to stun the examiner into forgetting everything they read over the last 5000 words and give me an amazing mark. I’ll let you know how that plan works out...

No comments: