Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pas delle yeux Rhône que nous - *groan* ...sorry

I am once again the proud holder of a driving license. I’m off sick today with suspected mild anaemia (that’s my suspicion by the way – I’m not seeing the doctor until this afternoon and he might just tell me to stop being mardy...who knows?). But luckily being at home today meant I was in to receive the special delivery of my precious and long awaited permis de conduire. Now all I need is a car. I’ve got a couple of people looking out for one for me though so it shouldn’t be too long before I finally have my own wheels.

Yesterday we went on a kayak adventure in the Mangroves. Nick’s girlfriend is here on holiday at the moment so Courtney and I took the opportunity to join them in some touristy action. A great time was had by all despite the early start and very long and arduous journey there...

I left Trinité at seven to get a taxico and meet the others at Fort de France. From the bustling taxico park in the capital we jumped in another one to Ducos and once there got a bus to the kayak base at Canal Cocotte, arriving at about quarter past ten. If I’d gone from here to there by car it would have only taken about forty minutes. That’s how annoying not having a car is!

I’m consoling myself with the thought that a lack of public transport means at least we’re not affected by the constant grêves that are currently bringing Paris and the rest of ‘la Métropole’ to its knees ...but that thought doesn’t really help me much when I’m lugging my folders and teaching materials around in the blazing sun or struggling to get my shopping up Dead Cat Alley.

So I fell asleep in the taxico on the way home, nearly missing my stop and then went to bed soon after I got in after having called off taekwondo and not eating dinner. (Yes, you read that right. I skipped a meal. It must be serious.) I couldn’t eat any breakfast either when I woke up ten and a half hours later with a slightly grey face, puffy eyes, a cracking headache and wobbly achy legs but I managed a piece of toast a while ago so things are looking up. I’m going to have another sleep before I go to the doctor but really I don’t think it’s anything a nice bloody steak and some green vegetables won’t fix. I just need to make it to the supermarket to buy said items first. Wish me luck!

No comments: