Friday, December 28, 2007

Bee Careful

It seems the CAF (housing benefit organisation) has finally decided to stop fighting with me and just give me some money after all. Hooray! I’m quite surprised actually. I’d practically given up on them after all the messing around they were doing. They sent me about five requests for information which I’d already given them and I spent at least 30 euros on the phone to them going round in circles and being put on hold. So finding this money in my account was a lovely Christmas present!

My visitors and I reached beach saturation point yesterday and decided it was time to do some touristy things before their return to icy England. So we went to see the ruins of a 17th century chateau in Tartane – a very pretty setting for the few remaining lumps of rock (castles aren’t really my ‘thing’) – and had a picnic in the grounds. We had a wander through the forest and paddled on the rocky shore too where we saw the most enormous bright orange starfish. And in the evening we went to a restaurant for accras de morue, steak frites and bananes flambĂ©es with glace coco which was all rather delicious.

Today I took them to Ducos to do the Kayak adventure that I did with Nick and Courtney a few weeks ago. It was a bit tougher this time due to windy weather and choppy water but we managed to make it back to base and a good time was had by all.

As we were coming back I paddled past what looked like a drowning wasp. I hate wasps. I really do hate them. They have a way of smelling my fear and loathing and they always pursue me, cackling and buzzing with evil glee. I’ve been stung more times than anyone I know (including one time when one went up my sleeve and stung me about ten times, and two occasions when they have been lying in wait for me to tread on them so they can martyr themselves, stinging my foot in the process. Oh, and also there was a time when one landed on my hand so I decided to do the brave and sensible thing and stay still and wait for it to go away – and it sat there eying me up and sussing me out before stinging me and flying off laughing to tell all his waspy friends about his victory over the foolish and trusting human.)

Anyway... so when I saw this drowning wasp all it stirred up all these memories and emotions of fear, hatred and need for revenge. So I poked it with my paddle – ha! Unfortunately I poked it in a rather scoopy way and actually managed to flip it, still alive and now very angry, into Keeley’s canoe, where it stung her. And yes, I do feel guilty (mostly because it was actually a bee, not a wasp, and I have no argument with the honey-making peace loving buzzy). But K was quite positive about the whole experience anyway, insisting that she was pleased to have a bee sting story to share at parties. So I didn’t have to feel too guilty for long anyway.

I don’t want my blog to turn into a list of fings wot I av dun but I’ve been a bit pressed for time while I’m playing hostess so I apologise if there has been a recent drop in the quality. I’ll try and get back on form once they’ve left me. In fact I might make it my New Year’s resolution. But Christmas was fun - WAY too much turkey though. We had turkey salad for lunch on boxing day and then turkey soup for dinner and it still wasn't all used up!

No comments: