Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Non-event

Well I was going to write a hefty blog tonight recounting my adventures in Tartane, Anse Mitan and the various supermarkets (YES supermarkets can be places of mystery and intrigue and great adventure!) of Martinique, but when I got home from taekwondo this evening I got sucked into an adaptation of War and Peace on the telly which is very gripping and I just can’t seem to tear myself away from it.

I’m trying to watch telly as much as possible in the hope that listening to more French will help my comprehension. But I’m finding it hard so far, partly because I’m not in the habit of staring at the goggle box - I only really watch Lost and Q.I. when I’m at home – but mostly because the programmes they show here are so terrible!

We have hours and hours of shite such as ‘Judge Judy’, ‘House Invaders’, ‘Jerry Springer’ and ‘Pop Idol’ dubbed into French. There are bizarre ‘Zouk’ channels that show what looks like home videos of old people dancing at parties, a Martinique music channel usually showing men dancing awkwardly on the beach while miming (badly) to some terrible rap song, and soap operas direct from Brazil and Mexico with names like ‘La Femme de Lorenzo’ and ‘Le Rose Sauvage’, which I’m sure I don’t need to tell you are all hideously bad.

So when something good is on I have to take the opportunity to watch it ...so the blog must wait I’m afraid!


No comments: