Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Hello Song - 17/10/07


“Hello, hello, hello it’s time to learn and play. Hello, hello, hello let’s have fun today!”

Ok, imagine having that playing constantly on a loop in your head for three days. And if it ever stops, throw in a few rounds of Heads, Shoulders Knees and Toes, The Goodbye song, One Two Kittens that Mew or ‘If You’re Happy and You Know it Clap Your Hands’. That’s what’s going on in my head at the moment. And my external world is currently overflowing with felt tip pens, sticky backed plastic, Sellotape and pencil shavings. So I think you’ll agree I’m doing a pretty good job of retaining my sanity right now.

The kids in my schools are hilarious. One of them thought England was in South America, several of them asked me to sing them a song by 50 Cent (some American rapper). And all of them were amazed by the concept of the Channel Tunnel and buses with an upstairs floor and girls wearing ties as part of a school uniform ...or ANYONE wearing ties as part of a school uniform. They seemed disappointed that there are no crocodiles in England (although I don’t think there are any here so I’m not sure why that even came up) but VERY excited about snow and cold weather. It’s so bizarre that we’re never satisfied with what we’ve got!

The teachers are, on the whole, very friendly and welcoming - though some are a little blunt and you might say heavy handed. I saw one bloke grab a pupil by the ear à la Bash Street Kids and drag him around yelling at him about his bad attitude. And in one class, when a very dreamy-looking girl called Olivia at the back of the room asked me a variation of the question I’d just answered, the teacher said in a loud voice that I should ignore her because ‘she’s a bit slow’ and then proceeded to ask if anyone had any questions ‘EXCEPT Olivia’.

I have four classes to teach tomorrow and six on Friday. I’m actually only working two and a half days a week (apart from the time spent cutting out and laminating pictures of heads, shoulders, knees and toes of course). So I have plenty of time to go to the beach on my days off and at the weekend.

...I could get used to this part time lark.

No comments: