Monday, October 29, 2007

Of Mice and Sharks - 29/10/07


A family of rather large mice is trying VERY hard to get into my house and I believe sometime in the next few hours they will succeed, set up camp under the kitchen table and begin feasting on my precious French cheeses. DAMN YOU MICE!

In the kitchen under the sink is a cupboard. At the back of this cupboard is a sheet of glass (though I’m not really sure why), and through the glass you can see the underneath/outside of the house. The sealant around the glass is fairly old and, in parts, no longer even there. And these determined little scrabblers have been very noisily gnawing a hole through the sealant and the glass (YES the GLASS!) for the past few days. I have no idea what to do. Lisette is away for a few days and I haven’t got any way of blocking up the hole. Looks like I’ll be having visitors whether I like it or not...

Speaking of visitors, I invited some of the other assistants up here this weekend for some feasting and revelling of a non mousy kind. We somehow got through eight bottles of wine, two bottles of rum and about 200 euros worth of food between the six of us which I think was quite an achievement. I made a peanut and chicken curry on Satuday which seemed quite well received and then Kuchenga, a Londoner whose mum is from Jamaica, kindly offered to cook something Jamaican on Sunday. None of us has been paid yet so when trundled off to the supermarket together, our combined mission was to hunt out the cheapest and tastiest looking things. We ended up with shark meat which Kuchenga cooked with scotch bonnet peppers, onions, peppers and tomatoes with rice and salad. Sharks are one of the things I am most scared of in the world so it was quite a thrill to actually eat one. Ha! Take that shark!

No comments: