Sunday, October 14, 2007

Trinité by night - 14/10/07


Unlike during the daytime when Trinité bourg is almost empty apart from the swaying groups of mildly intoxicated men and the women buying their baguettes and pineapples from the local stalls, on Saturday and Sunday evenings, it is positively buzzing. THE place to be!

Jessica drove me down there after taekwondo last night to sample the famous local ice creams which are sold along the sea front. Even at ten in the evening there are families everywhere, kids running round and playing football, young couples canoodling, tiny tots on little flashing fairground rides and a long line of men fishing off the pier.

The ice cream’s popularity was evident from the queue which went all the way into the road. Many of the people waiting were carrying tupperware containers to fill up with their favourite flavours; pineapple, mango, rum and raisin, passion fruit, coconut, sweet potato (yes, you did read that correctly!), chocolate, plum and peanut. I went for peanut – I wanted something I’d never tried before but I wasn’t quite feeling brave enough for sweet potato. Jessica kept pushing me to get coconut (her favourite) but I’m glad I stuck to my guns. It was easily the best ice cream I’ve ever had. And the portion I got was so huge that I had to put some in the freezer when I got home ...and then accidentally eat if for breakfast starter this morning. (Breakfast main course was pancakes today – and I didn’t bother with breakfast dessert. Two courses were sufficient.)

Most of this weekend has been dedicated to washing and cleaning up after the departure of my house guests as well as lesson planning for Monday. I have six classes to teach, the thought of which is slightly scary. I think I’m prepared. And if everything starts crashing down around me at least I can fall back on a manic rendition of some nursery rhyme or other – they are only 7-year-olds after all. And every kid loves a crazy foreigner ...right...?

No comments: